The Liverpool Blue Coat Old Blues' Association - Founded 1838
Meetings are held quarterly at the Blue Coat School. All subscribing members are eligible to attend and vote at these meetings. A "subscribing member" is one who has paid a subscription during the current financial year. Our financial year commences on 1st January.
A full list of these meetings and other events is on the Diary page of this website.
President Vice President
Ron Richardson Charles Hodgson
Treasurer Assistant Treasurer
Jennifer Graham Steve Elliott
Keith Caulkin MBE
Keith Ashley Charles Hodgson
Keith Caulkin MBE Les Page
Steve Elliott Ron Richardson
Committee Members (Advisory)
Ray Livingston Debbie Silcock
Graham Holiday Luminita Paraoan
Frank Hulford John Rees
Neil Lovell-Kennedy Mike Walker
Parents' Association Rep
Keith Caulkin MBE
(List updated 6th October 2020)
CONSTITUTION & RULES
The Constitution & Rules were last revised in March 2016. They can be downloaded as a PDF document (25 kb) by clicking HERE. If you have any difficulty with this, please contact us and we will post you a paper copy.
THE LIVERPOOL BLUE COAT SCHOOL OLD BLUES' ASSOCIATION
Motto: “And may all its proceedings be characterised by brotherly love.”
What is an "Old Blue"?
Quite simply, this is any person who, in the past, has been a student or teacher at the Liverpool Blue Coat School.
The Liverpool Blue Coat Hospital (as it was known from its foundation back in 1708 until as recently as 1949) was a charitable institution, where poor children (mainly orphans or fatherless) were educated and lodged free of charge. Teenage boys would leave the school and start work in such positions as apprentices, office clerks and messengers, with no parental support.
On 12th February 1838 the Brotherly Society was formed as a charity by a group of "Old Blues" who were now successfully established in their careers and wanted to "give something back" to young boys who were leaving the school.
An "Old Blue" would be appointed as a mentor (like a big brother) to each boy leaving the school. This "Old Blue" would visit the boy at his home (usually one-room lodgings) and his workplace to offer advice, support and guidance. If the boy needed any help with things such as books, tools or work clothing, the "Old Blue" would secure funding for this from the Brotherly Society.
The "Old Blues" would also offer support where necessary to the school itself. Notably, they would visit the school on Christmas Day and provide things such as Christmas puddings containing "threepenny bits" (the equivalent of 1p in today's money, but quite a small fortune to the child receiving it!)
This charity does not raise money by holding events or collections. The vast majority of our funding is by voluntary subscription from grateful "Old Blues", and this has always been the case.
The present day
In 1949 the girls left and the School became a bi-lateral boys' school. The Foundation charity continued to own the buildings (it still does) and supply the needs of the boys who were housed there, but a grammar stream was introduced for "day boys" (very similar to today's set-up) and the Liverpool Education Committee provided the staff and equipment for teaching purposes.
As the number of "poor orphans" decreased rapidly, the "Old Blues" were called upon less for such assistance and were able to provide more tangible gifts to the school that could not be afforded by local authority budgets. In recent years we have provided funds for library equipment, the Chapel sound system and the "Old Blues' Corridor", linking the entrance under the clock tower with the Shirley Hall.
However, more recently as "austerity" bites, we have become aware of financial needs, not just of past students, but of current and new-starting students.
It is our belief that a child's education (and consequently their progress through adult life) should not suffer because of financial hardship. Although it would be impossible for us to solve all the financial problems being experienced by many parents, we will always try to help in appropriate circumstances whenever we can. (Please see the page of this website entitled "Financial Help" to see if we may be able to help you).
Evidence of the generosity of the charity over the years can be found throughout the School. In 1938, to celebrate our centenary, we provided the oak pews in the Chapel. (Sadly, most of these were removed in 2019). In 1963 (the charity’s 125th anniversary) we provided the stained glass south window of the Chapel. The Old Blues’ Memorial Library was presented in 1952 in remembrance of the Old Blues who gave their lives in the two World Wars and the splendid gates in front of the old main entrance were provided in 1958, when the School celebrated its 250th anniversary.
In September 2015, the legal title of the charity became "The Liverpool Blue Coat School Old Blues' Association".