The Liverpool Blue Coat Old Blues' Association - Founded 1838
G G WATCYN
Mr Watcyn arrived at the Liverpool Blue Coat
School in 1926 (see small photo).
During the evacuation to Beaumaris, he became headmaster, in 1945, and was to preside over some dramatic changes following the school's return to Liverpool after the war.
In 1949 the school ceased to be The Blue Coat Hospital, and became a bi-lateral boys' school, with day-boys and boarders, and teachers under contract to the LEA.
Mr Watcyn retired in 1968 but his retirement was tragically cut short only a couple of years later when he was fatally injured in a traffic accident.
One of the last appointments he made to the teaching staff, back in 1966, was the young Sandy Tittershill, who became headmaster himself in 2001.
When Sandy retired in 2008, the school's last link to the "Watcyn era" was broken.